Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Improvements in the Delphi 12 Yukon Beta

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the Delphi 12 Beta. We're hoping to issue an update for our imaging display and editing library in the days after the Delphi 12 release, so I wanted to be sure there were no issues.

The first change that I noticed was the new "Features" dialog:


Which now puts all installation information on the same screen. (This dialog is also available under Tools > Manage Features, so you can easily add functionality later).

I intended to tell you how long it took to complete the installation, but by the time I got back from morning tea it was all done, so at best I can say it was faster than I recall some earlier Delphi versions taking.

 


The most important feature for me in an IDE is stability, and in this, I have been happy with Delphi 11. It is certainly is one of the the most stable versions I have ever used (I started with Delphi 3). The beta documentation reports resolution of over 700 issues from quality.embarcadero.com, but in D11, I only ever encountered a few quirks around searching ("Search Whole Words" always mysteriously enabling, for example).

So those were the first things I tested and I'm glad to report that all those quirks appear to have been resolved, and search itself has been improved.

Here's the new "Find in Files" dialog:


You'll notice the new mask to exclude named sub-directories, which is nice.


Another new feature that I tried was instant code insight.

So you might start typing "image" and it immediately suggests the form's ImageEnView1 control. Click "." to insert it, then the first few letters of the member that you want... This is much quicker than the old Ctrl+Space.


Most importantly, I wanted to test the compilation and running of our ImageEn library, and only encountered one minor change under 64bit that needed resolving (a one minute fix). Also, I noted that EXE size only increased by an insignificant 0.5%, which is pleasing.


That's all that I have for now. I won't be using it as my main IDE until the MMX Code Explorer is updated, but I am excited for the new release.


This blog post is based on a pre-release version of the RAD Studio software and it has been written with specific permission by Embarcadero. No feature is committed until the product GA release.

No comments: